My little niece Addi loves to play dress up. She loves to put on fancy dresses and wear pearls and rings and boa’s. She is always asking to wear my rings when we are playing. My daughter Karissa is about to turn 20 and her ideas of dress up have turned into a love for jewelry of a higher dollar value. My son just bought a beautiful diamond for his fiance. (He went to Jarred!) I myself love sapphires and of course diamonds. While working on website designs for a jewelry line with some precious friends I learned today that the price of precious stones and silver and gold is not the same today as it was a few years ago. These precious stones and metals increase in value as time passes. Their settings, their weight, the process of creating and hand crafting each piece all impacts their value! The process the stone and metal goes through to get from its original form to our hands all plays a part in the purchase price. If you sold a piece today for what you paid for it a year ago you would be giving it away in a lot of cases. To discount these pieces would not be profitable! For the true value of the piece to be recognized you have to consider its history and then calculate its worth.
As I came home and looked through the treasures in my bag waiting for me to photograph them the Lord reminded me I too can not be discounted. It just is not profitable.
What are you speaking to my heart Lord? (You see, as I started this journey I asked Him to show me- really show me with every sense in my body how He sees me. He is faithful and the lessons He has been teaching me fall on the pages you read)
You are a precious gem yet you see yourself as less than. You have placed a value on your self that is discounted all that I created you to be. You look at your worth before I redeemed you. You don’t see yourself as I do. You see your self as scarlet and I see you as snow- saved and sanctified, washed white as snow.
I discount myself all the time. I discount myself and sell myself short. In some cases I know why I do it and other times I just do not understand. Yet God has been working on my heart in this area for the past 26 days. He is showing me something new each day. May seem to you like I talk about value and self-worth a lot on these pages. I am and I am glad I am because I have lived a life of discounted worth. I have allowed my self to feel not good enough or worth it forever.
There is a process that is used to identify gems.
First you “Place the gem on a piece of plain white paper and look at it through the jeweler’s loupe. The main thing to take into account is the color and characteristics of the gem. Is it striated, layered or is the entire gem completely solid?1
- THROUGH THE JEWELER’S LOUPE- God is my master jeweler and he looks at me through HIS eyes and HE decides my value. He looks at me and sees all the characteristics that are necessary for me to be a precious gem. He sees them because they are in me. He placed them there. From the beginning. When He knit me together in my mother’s womb.
Second, “Turn on the lamp or shine the light directly on it. Look at the reflective qualities of the stone. Does it sparkle in the light and throw colors onto the paper? Does the color change once the light hits it? Or is the gem entirely solid and non-penetrable?”1
- LIGHT- His light in me reflects all the qualities He has placed in me. His light shows in my character and reflects on those around me. When the light hit me I was forever changed. He is the light unto my path. When we invite Him in to His rightful place in our lives to penetrate to our very core His light reflects and dispels the darkness and we start to see ourselves as He does- with great value, not to be discounted.
Third, “Look in the reference guide, taking the answers to all of the previous questions into account. Locate the type of gem that you have based on the information at hand.”1
- The WORD OF GOD- how cool we have a reference guide where we can take all we know to be true and test it against the infallible Word of God and base everything we know about ourselves on HIS WORD!
The fourth step is to Polish your GEM! “Sand away any imperfections on the surface of the gem. This will remove any scratches.”1
- OH buddy, I don’t know about you but I have been through some sanding. I have been sanded by tests and trials, sickness, loss of a home, a job, health. I have been sanded by people who are in my life that seriously rub me the wrong way ( sandpaper people, that is a blog for another day) All this He uses to smooth out my imperfections and remove my rough edges.
The next step in the polishing process is to “Place the gem into a tumbler. The tumbler will polish the stone and round off any sharp edges. How long the stone has to be tumbled depends on the type of stone and the specifications of the tumbling machine.”1
- Tumbler must be another word for LIFE these days. Life hands us ups and downs. We lose a job, a career, a business. We lose a child, a friend, a dream. We are tumbled around so much we can no longer see out. I have been in this tumbler a long time but I trust that HE knows me. Knows what I have need of and what it will take to get me right where He needs me to be. I know He will see me through because His word is true. I can trust His heart!
Lastly, “Rub the gem with a soft cloth once it comes out of the tumbler.”1
- His gentleness and loving kindness is like water to my soul. He polishes me and handles me with care. He insures that I reach my full value. He doesn’t promise my road will be easy but He does promise to never leave me nor forsake me. He does promise to be my Shepard and to protect me and hold me in the palm of His hand.
I learned some pretty cool things today as I worked with my friends. He is a master jeweler and with his guidance I will be able to accurately portray to customers the value of fine gemstone and precious metal pieces. As he showed me today the different stones and how the light reflecting in them and off of them brought them to life, I realized that is what Gods light in my life is doing to me. It is allowing me to realize my full potential and value.
GOd is the ultimate master jeweler and He CREATED ME. He is helping me see the complex beauty that He designed me to be. He is working in my characteristics that set me apart and define me. He is sanding out my rough spots and polishing me for a work that I was created to do. He is bringing me to a place of purpose and passion and victory.
Seeing through a new set of eyes is AMAZING!
Don’t sell yourself short! Regardless of what you think about yourself or what you have done, do not discount who you are, who you were created to be and what God has designed for you to do! You have a purpose and a plan and a great value!
1 Read more: How to Process Gems | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7817169_process-gems.html#ixzz1kbLtVFlJ